HK Magazine Archive

Last Week in Viral News

We take a look back at the local news that spread like wildfire.

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 03 December, 2015, 12:39pm
UPDATED : Wednesday, 19 October, 2016, 4:53pm

Nov 21, Sat: A middle-aged man and his wife take a taxi from Causeway Bay home to Mid-Levels. The meter shows a fare of $42.40. The man gives the driver $60, and the driver returns $17 in change. The man insists on his remaining 60 cents, but the driver explains it is customary to round up to the nearest dollar. They argue, and the driver eventually gives the man $1 in change. The man refuses to accept it and throws it at the driver. The two argue, eventually getting out of the taxi to fight in the street. Police arrest both men.

Nov 22, Sun: A 22-year-old man is walking along Kwun Tong Promenade in the morning after a night out drinking, when he falls into the water. He calls for help and a jogger calls the police. A sergeant from the Kowloon East Emergency Unit arrives with his team and discovers that the man is unable to swim and so cannot catch the lifebuoy that was thrown out to him. The sergeant dives into the water and rescues the man. The sergeant says that it was his first time jumping into the water to save someone, and he was happy to have been able to save a life.

Nov 23, Mon: At around 9am, a 41-year-old woman arrives at the Transport Department in Cheung Sha Wan with a large stack of parking tickets. Staff call the police, thinking that she has had her identity stolen for the purposes of registering a vehicle in her name. Police discover that the owner of the vehicle is the woman’s ex-boyfriend. She confesses that she had registered her ex’s car in her own name: After the pair broke up she kept receiving tickets in the mail, but was unwilling to pay the fine for a car she doesn’t drive.

Nov 24, Tue: A 62-year-old man is sentenced to 20 weeks in prison for charges related to selling pirated discs and pornography in the 1990s. The man used to own four shops selling pornography and pirated goods, but fled to the mainland in 1996 after being charged in Hong Kong. Over the years, he developed a successful wine business in China to support his daughter’s schooling in the US. He explains that he decided to surrender himself because he wanted to return to Hong Kong to take care of his bedridden 90-year-old mother.

Nov 25, Wed: At around 8:45pm a man is walking along Humphreys Avenue in Tsim Sha Tsui when he hears a woman calling out in Putonghua “Diamonds! Diamonds!” He sees a group of 30 or 40 people squatting down picking up small, shiny stones scattered on the ground outside a jewelry store. Police arrive at the store and explain that the scattered crystals are just plastic fragments.

Nov 26, Thu: At midnight, an 18-year-old woman is hanging out with three friends in a staircase of the Aberdeen Centre housing estate. Police on their rounds ask to check their IDs. The woman loses her temper and tries to pour her can of beer on a police officer, who dodges the liquid. The police search her bag and find a plastic bag containing 44 pills. She claims she was prescribed the pills, but they would get you high if you took them. When a policeman asks for an explanation she cries: “Big deal you’re a cop, my dad is also a cop.” She kicks him in the groin and is arrested.

Nov 27, Fri: Police raid a bar in Mong Kok which was operating on a lapsed liquor license while pretending to be under construction. The unit was falsely listed in the building directory as an Indonesian Christian group. Acting on a tip-off, undercover officers enter the bar and detain two members of staff and a customer. They seize 500 cans of beer and more than 30 bottles of wine, worth $53,000. The bar’s liquor license expired in May.