Kiss The Cook: Croissant and Berry Bake
Monthly recipes from Mango Menus.
For dessert, this croissant and berry bake is a fruitier and more decadent variation on the traditional bread and butter pudding. While traditionally served hot, it is also delicious cold for breakfast!
- 4 fresh croissants
- 3 tablespoons of berry jam
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 eggs
- 1.5 cups milk
- 1 cup cream
- 50g caster sugar
- Seeds from 1 vanilla pod
- Zest of half an orange
- Single cream (optional to serve with)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Take an ovenproof dish and grease it with butter.
- Slice your croissants in half lengthwise and spread the insides generously with butter and jam. Layer the bottom halves, bottoms down, along the dish. Then layer the tops of the croissant above them, trying to cover up any holes.
- Whisk the eggs together with a fork. Then add the milk, cream, sugar, vanilla and orange zest and combine with an electric handheld mixer.
- Pour the milk mixture over the croissants then scatter the berries on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes then check that the interior is cooked by tilting the dish slightly. It should be firm, but if it still appears runny, return it to the oven for another 5-10 minutes.
- Serve warm with more fresh cream if desired.
Serves four to six