Kiss The Cook: Tomato, Ginger and Chili Jam
Monthly recipes from Mango Menus.
A recipe that packs heat for the spice lovers out there is a tomato, ginger and chili jam, the ideal accompaniment to cheese, cold ham and chicken—not to mention it is the bomb in a sausage sandwich. Don’t be afraid to double the quantities as then you will have enough to give some to your friends, in true domestic goddess form!
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- Around 6 fresh medium tomatoes, chopped
- 5 red chilies (keep the seeds for extra spice!)
- 3 inch piece of ginger, peeled
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- ¾ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1½ cups coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup raisins or sultanas
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- Mince your garlic then add it to the food processor with half of the tomatoes, chilies (including the seeds), ginger and fish sauce. Purée until smooth.
- Add the purée to a large saucepan with the apple cider vinegar, coconut sugar, raisins and kaffir lime leaves. Bring to a boil. Add the rest of the chopped tomatoes for texture.
- Once it has boiled, simmer it with the lid off for 40-60 minutes, until it thickens. Leave it a little runnier than you would like as it will thicken further in the jar.
- Pour into jars then allow to cool before refrigerating. Serve cold.
Makes around 2 jars which will keep for several months in the fridge.