Last Week in Viral News
Bizarre Hong Kong happenings that have been the talk of the town (or at least the internet) lately.
Jul 23, Sat: What appears to be a human leg is spotted floating in the sea off Sham Tseng. Police and fire services arrive at the scene, and divers recover what looks like a human body. Upon inspection, it is revealed to be a blow-up doll.
Jul 24, Sun: Shortly after leaving a pub at night in Yuen Long, two men in their early 20s are attacked by three masked men armed with knives. The victims are sent to the hospital, suffering stab wounds. Investigations are underway.
Jul 25, Mon: Police discover two Tibetan mastiffs in the garden of a Tuen Mun village house: Both creatures are cowering, emaciated and balding, and the house is strewn with dog feces. Authorities are now hunting for the dogs’ owners.
Jul 26, Tue: While having dinner at his girlfriend’s family home, a 26-year-old man pledges to give his girlfriend’s parents $20,000 as per Chinese filial custom. He leaves to fetch the sum, but returns with cuts on his arm, claiming that a taxi driver robbed him of the cash. Police discover that the man provided the wrong taxi license plate while reporting the “incident,” and arrest him. He awaits sentencing at Tsuen Wan Court after pleading guilty to misleading an officer with false information.
Jul 27, Wed: It’s 10pm in Sham Shui Po, and a teenager is playing Pokémon GO when she hears purring from what turns out to be a kitten trapped under a car. Authorities launch a three-hour operation that ends in the rescue of the kitten. Meanwhile, the teenager successfully catches a Blastoise.
Jul 28, Thu: The Airport Authority launches a search for the owners of seven cars that have been left at the airport for extended periods of time, amassing a total of $967,000 in parking fines. It is believed that three of the vehicles belonged to now-defunct companies, while one belonged to a Japanese national who had returned to Japan but subsequently died.
Jul 29, Fri: In Fanling, a man wakes to the alarm of his newly purchased Samsung phone, which has been charging all night. As he reaches to switch off the alarm, the phone explodes. He is sent to the hospital with second-degree burns to his arm.