Actor Simu Liu is defending his upcoming Marvel film Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings following a comment made by Disney CEO Bob Chapek suggesting the film’s release will be an “experiment” for the company. Chapek, speaking to investors in a quarterly earnings call last week, noted that amid the pandemic, Disney has made some of its films available in theatres, some straight to Disney+ and some a hybrid of the two, available on the streaming service for an additional cost (such as Marvel’s Black Widow and Jungle Cruise ). “On Shang-Chi , we think it’s actually going to be an interesting experiment for us because it’s got only a 45-day window,” Chapek said. “So the prospect of being able to take a Marvel title to the service after going theatrical for 45 days will be yet another data point to inform our actions going forward on our titles.” Liu wasn’t thrilled with Chapek’s characterisation and tweeted, “We are not an experiment.” “We are the underdog; the underestimated. We are the ceiling-breakers,” the actor wrote in response on Saturday, August 14. “We are the celebration of culture and joy that will persevere after an embattled year. We are the surprise. I’m fired the f*** up to make history on September 3; join us .” Shang-Chi will be released in theatres on September 3 and arrive on Disney+ as soon as October 18. During the call with investors, Chapek was asked why Disney’s latest releases, Ryan Reynolds’ Free Guy and Shang-Chi , were being released first in theatres amid American film-goers’ renewed hesitancy to head to theatres, given the Covid-19 delta variant. He noted that the latter film was intended to be released into a “much more healthy theatrical environment” but the studio was unable to make a last-minute change to a simultaneous release. Interview: Nightbirde’s America’s Got Talent run comes to an end Liu’s comments comes less than a month after fellow Marvel star Scarlett Johansson filed a lawsuit against Disney , alleging that her contract was breached when Black Widow was released on Disney+ at the same time as its theatrical debut. In the lawsuit, Johansson said her agreement with Marvel Studios guaranteed an exclusive release in cinemas, and her salary was based in large part on box-office performance. In a statement, a spokesperson for Disney said the suit had “no merit whatsoever” and called it “especially sad and distressing in its callous disregard for the horrific and prolonged global effects of the Covid-19 pandemic”. The company insists it “fully complied with Ms. Johansson’s contract” and also pointed out that the Premier Access release “has significantly enhanced her ability to earn additional compensation on top of the US$20 million she has received to date”. Previously this summer, Liu expressed frustrations with the apparent lack of representation of Asian voices among the writers of TV’s Kim’s Convenience , which he starred on for five seasons until it ended in April. Producers of the show, which is streaming on Netflix and stars Liu and Paul Sun-Hyung Lee as members of a Korean-Canadian family who run a corner store in Toronto, announced in March that the fifth season would be the show’s final run. Liu wrote in a Facebook post in June that he was disappointed in the show’s “overwhelmingly white” producers not accepting more input from the majority Asian-Canadian cast. He reflected on his character’s journey, saying he wanted to be a part of a sixth season but had grown “increasingly frustrated” with the portrayal of Jung and how he and other cast members were treated. “I love this show and everything it stood for. I saw first-hand how profoundly it impacted families and brought people together,” he wrote. The producers said in a statement to USA Today that they decided not to move forward with another season after two of the show’s co-creators left to pursue other projects. “Given their departure from the series, we have come to the difficult conclusion that we cannot deliver another season of the same heart and quality that has made the show so special,” the statement read. Hallyu goes Hollywood: 3 K-drama stars debuting in US blockbusters In response to Liu’s post, the show’s official social media accounts shared screenshots from show writer Anita Kapila’s unverified, private Facebook page, in which she acknowledged “the women and BIPOC [black and indigenous people of colour]” she worked alongside, including Clara Altimas, Nadiya Chettiar, Carly Stone and Sonja Bennett. Kapila also mentions the “most diverse crew” and directors. “We were not perfect. But we were there. I will forever be proud of what we accomplished,” Kapila wrote in the screenshots. Want more stories like this? Sign up here. Follow STYLE on Facebook , Instagram , YouTube and Twitter .