14 most extravagant celebrity private jets: from Kim Kardashian’s cashmere-clad Kim Air, and Jay-Z and Beyoncé’s Bombardier Challenger, to tech billionaires Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos’ Gulfstream G550s
12. Jay-Z, 52: Bombardier Challenger 850 – US$40 million
Net worth: US$1.3 billion
11. Bill Gates, 66: Bombardier 8000 – US$66 million
Net worth: US$123 billion
Surprisingly, Microsoft’s founder ranks lower down this list but still impresses with his US$66 million ride. That being said, like many billionaires, he owns more than one.
Perhaps his most lavish one though is the Bombardier 8000. The 2019 make thrives off Canadian aviation standards, seating up to 17 people at a time. According to the company website, the jet is the fastest ever in business aviation and ensures maximum smoothness and comfort, travelling up to Mach 0.94.
10. Elon Musk, 51; Jeff Bezos, 58; Sergey Brin, 48 and Larry Page, 49, … all own a Gulfstream G650 ER – US$70 million each
Net worths: Elon Musk – US$225 billion, Jeff Bezos – US$133 billion, Sergey Brin – US$93 billion, Larry Page – US$96.7 billion
Apparently tech billionaires love this Gulfstream edition.
9. Mukesh Ambani, 65: Boeing Business Jet 2 – US$73 million
Net worth: US$95.6 billion
8. Richard Branson, 71: Dassault Falcon 50EX; Oprah Winfrey, 68: Gulfstream G650 – US$75 million each
Net worths: Richard Branson – US$4 billion, Oprah Winfrey – US$2.5 billion
How else would Mr Branson travel to his private island retreats? Oh yeah – he’s got a commercial airline too. Apparently that’s not enough though as he’s also got his Dassault Falcon 50EX which he uses for routes that Virgin Atlantic can’t fly. He told BJT Online, “I need a small plane just to get out of the British Virgin Islands. And I use that for shorter distances.” The super midsize jet can fly up to 10 people at a time and comes with two cabin zones.
7. Donald Trump, 76: Boeing 757, aka Trump Force One – US$100 million
Net worth: US$3 billion
The former president of the United States is often the subject of controversy but that’s not stopped him from dropping US$100 million on his aircraft. Dubbed Trump Force One, it’s currently undergoing some maintenance, according to The Palm Beach Post, but is still one of the most famous jets around. The custom built “crown jewel in the Trump Fleet”, per its website, is powered by Rolls-Royce engines and can fly up to eight hours non-stop within a 3,000 mile range. Inside, there are 24-karat gold-plated accents and Italian leather seats embroidered with the Trump family crest. There’s even a cinema.
6. Kim Kardashian, 41: Gulfstream G650ER, aka Kim Air – US$150 million
Net worth: US$1.8 billion
It’s got a lighter colour scheme and cashmere-clad interiors – meanwhile, the exterior is rendered in monochrome-grey to match her car and home.
5. Roman Abramovich, 55: Boeing 767, aka The Bandit – US$170 million
Net worth: US$9.1 billion
He’s also got a US$350 million Boeing 787 Dreamliner which was seized by US customs in early June, according to reports in the New York Post.
4. Sultan of Brunei, 75: Boeing 747-430, aka The Flying Palace – US$230 million+
Net worth: US$30 billion
Nicknamed “The Flying Palace”, the Hassanal Bolkiah, the Sultan and Yang di-Pertuan of Brunei since 1967, spent over US$230 million on his private plane. The lavish aircraft is decked in luxurious materials with gold plating in abundance, reportedly spending US$120 million alone on refurbishments.
3. Joseph Lau, 70: Boeing 747-8 VIP – US$367 million
Net worth: US$13.5 billion
The Hong Kong real estate tycoon custom ordered his 445-square-metre private plane, which has two floors joined by a spiral staircase. Inside, there’s a gym, bar, huge office, and guest rooms, while its speeds can reportedly reach up to 1,195 kmh.
2. Alisher Usmanov, 68: Airbus A340-300 – US$400 million
Net worth: US$15.7 billion
Estimated at US$400 million, the Uzbek-Russian businessman’s ostentatious aircraft is reportedly named Bourkhan, after his father. As Russia’s biggest private jet, it trumps even President Vladimir Putin’s ride, and it’s fitted with a dining room, several guestrooms, bedrooms and more. It has a speed of 915km/h and a range of over 13,000.
1. Saudi prince Al-Waleed bin Talal, 67: Airbus A380 Custom – US$400 million +
Net worth: US$16.6 billion
Another “flying palace” for a royal, Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal’s supersized aircraft comes with all the trimmings: from its private cinema and jacuzzi to the well-equipped gym and conference area. With its mammoth price tag, the 6,000 sq ft jumbo jet is certainly fit for a king – or in this case, Saudi prince.
- Microsoft’s Bill Gates chose a Bombardier 8000, Mukesh Ambani’s Boeing Business Jet 2 is ideal for in-air meetings, and Richard Branson and Oprah Winfrey both own jets worth US$75 million
- Former US president Donald Trump, Russian oligarch Roman Abramovich and Hong Kong real estate tycoon Joseph Lau all own Boeings – but none top the list as most expensive …