6 most classic and timeless watch designs from 2022, from the Breitling Chronomat GMT 40 and Patek Philippe’s latest Nautilus edition, to timepieces by Audemars Piguet, Tudor and A. Lange & Söhne
For watch connoisseurs and novice enthusiasts alike, a timeless, classic design is unmistakable. These are the pieces that one remembers from childhood as a treasured possession of a family member to be passed down, or that lure the curious into the deep world of horology. If a design is recognisable, chances are that it has seen years – maybe decades or centuries – of history.
So, naturally, each house wants to create the enduring timepiece of tomorrow. These are the six pieces from 2022 that stood out to us for their simplicity, versatility, sheer good looks and timelessness that is either already the subject of, or will beget, a long and storied heritage for the model and the maison that made it.
1. Breitling Chronomat GMT 40
2. Patek Philippe Nautilus 5811/IG-001
Its lines as beautifully neat and functional as its namesake mollusc, this latest edition with a white gold case and classic blue dial exemplifies the brand’s top-shelf heritage.
3. Tudor Black Bay 41 S&G
4. A. Lange & Söhne Richard Lange Minute Repeater in 950 Platinum
The German house has caught our attention with a tasteful platinum case and sapphire crystal, accented with blue hands, all of which bely the focused care behind each of the 50 individually tuned pieces.
5. Audemars Piguet Code 11.59 Self-Winding Flying Tourbillon
It is not often that a minimalist tourbillon makes a splash, but Audemars Piguet’s onyx dial set against the white gold and black ceramic casing has managed exactly that.
6. H. Moser & Cie Streamliner Tourbillon Vantablack
The Schaffhausen house brings its nearly 200 years of heritage into the modern day with a blacker-than-black dial expanding on the house’s 2020 April Fool’s joke to spotlight the bracelet and intricate tourbillon inset.
- Timeless yet modern watches from luxury watchmaking brands like Breitling, Audemars Piguet, Patek Philippe and Tudor can become treasured possessions to be passed down for generations
- Tudor’s new Black Bay and Audemars Piguet Code 11.59 Self-Winding Flying Tourbillon are simple yet elegant, while H. Moser & Cie Streamliner Tourbillon Vantablack riffs on a 2020 April’s Fool joke