Kelly Hoppen is probably the chicest name in the interior design world. Since launching her career at the tender age of 16 by remodelling the kitchen of a family friend, Hoppen has been commissioned by A-listers David and Victoria Beckham, and actor Martin Shaw to craft their homes.
Mastering an elegant, East-meets-West style, she has defined the Kelly Hoppen look: clean lines, neutral colour palettes harmoniously juxtaposed in timeless fashion. Her trademark style is so iconic that an adjective has been coined to describe it: Hoppenic.
Based in London, the South-African-born designer has created yachts and jets for private clients, as well as commercial projects from furniture to restaurants and offices across the globe. Her latest addition is the high-end resort Lux Grand Gaube in Mauritius.
“Luxury in any space is what it means to you – it is difficult to define. To me, it is all about mixing finishes, materials, textures and colours to create something that is pleasing to the eye yet functional,” she says.
View this post on Instagram
It’s been great to hear of your Disney projects and so pleased you like our approach... keep your eyes peeled later today for my @disney competition to win a bespoke mural or £200 worth of Disney wallpaper @grahamandbrown. #mickey90 #kellyhoppen #interiordesign
A post shared by Kelly Hoppen MBE (@kellyhoppen) on Oct 13, 2018 at 2:05am PDT
This philosophy applies to her imagination in creating a timekeeper. “I love traditional watches. I would focus particularly on bringing that retro element into the design. As for colour, I would stick to a neutral palette, to give the watch a timeless feel. I’d go for a design that embodies timeless luxury, rather than a trendy vibe. The design element would affect the strap but would be led by the face of the watches’ design,” Hoppen says.
Juggling a bustling professional life and personal commitments, she aims to strike a life-work balance and enjoy every second of it.
“Every day is non-stop from the moment I wake up,” Hoppen admits. She divides her time, devoting 95 per cent of it to an armful of projects while savouring the chance to relax during the other 5 per cent.
View this post on Instagram
COMPETITION TIME: enter by liking or commenting below... @grahamandbrown are giving away one of my bespoke #mickey90 murals or £200 worth of my @disney wallpaper collection winner will be announced 20th October... #kellyhoppen #competition #disneydesign #interiordesign
A post shared by Kelly Hoppen MBE (@kellyhoppen) on Oct 13, 2018 at 4:36am PDT
“I always finds time for my loved ones, because they’re the most important thing in my life,” Hoppen says.
The most memorable moment in her career came in 2009, when Britain’s Queen Elizabeth awarded her an MBE for her contribution to the design industry. Now, almost a decade later, she is looking to the future by establishing her own design awards to encourage young talent entering the industry. The launch will involve a ceremony in Shanghai next year.
“If there’s a chance of time travel, I would relish the opportunity to travel to the future and learn how the world of design is going to evolve,” Hoppen notes.