Shila Amzah, whose full name is NurShahila binti Amir Amzah, began her road to talent show stardom at the age of 10 by emerging as first runner-up on Bintang Kecil RTM, broadcast on Malaysia’s national television channel. This was followed by similar success in another contest, One in a Million. In 2008, she won the Asia New Singer Competition. Shila entered Chinese pop culture consciousness in 2012 when she won the Asian Wave reality singing contest. In 2010, she took the second runner-up spot in season two of the I Am A Singer television show.
1. Shila is the first Malay singer to find fame in Chinese-speaking countries and in the Chinese record charts. Her Weibo account has over 2.4 million followers.
I'm so excited for my next concert at Arena of Stars Genting Highland on this coming 29th of September! Dah beli ticket ke?kalau belum, Korang boleh layari laman web yang tertera kat atas tu utk beli ticket okay?! Which song do you think I should sing on my upcoming concert? Let me know masih ada masa untuk sha tukar lagu sha️ #shilaamzahlovingyouconcert2018
A post shared by 씰라茜拉shila amzah (@shahilaamzah) on Jul 9, 2018 at 3:32am PDT
2. She was recently listed in the Forbes’ 30 Under 30 Asia which recognises young leaders, trendsetters and entrepreneurs from across Asia in entertainment and sports.
A post shared by 씰라茜拉shila amzah (@shahilaamzah) on Jul 21, 2018 at 2:01am PDT
3. Shila’s performances transcend continents. She sings in English, Malay, Mandarin, Cantonese, Hindi, Tamil, Spanish, Korean, Japanese, and Italian.
4. She is currently based in Hong Kong, and relishes her relative anonymity. This is a contrast to Beijing where she was based previously. She is known as Xila to her Chinese fans.
5. She grew up listening to Leslie Cheung and Anita Mui in Malaysia, a country with a large Cantopop fan base.
6. Shila credits YouTube for making her popular with Southeast Asian fans. The platform allowed her the freedom to move away from the more traditional ways in which record labels approach the marketing and promotion of artists.
7. She is a cultural ambassador for Malaysia. This has led to an award from the Chinese government for her “special contribution to building friendship between China and Malaysia”. Shila is also her country’s Tourism Ambassador to China.
A post shared by 씰라茜拉shila amzah (@shahilaamzah) on Mar 31, 2018 at 6:11pm PDT
8. Shila is a fashion inspiration for millions of young Muslim women around the world. Her colourful hijabs make for refreshing counterpoints to her international outlook.
9. Her favourite dish is nasi lemak – rice cooked in coconut milk, and served with condiments such as fried peanuts, anchovies, boiled eggs, and spicy sambal.
A post shared by 씰라茜拉shila amzah (@shahilaamzah) on Jul 4, 2018 at 5:33am PDT
10. Shila once performed a duet with Miley Cyrus. The song – The Best of Both Worlds – was for a Hannah Montana promotional tour.