-
Advertisement
Asia

Pakistan funeral attack death toll rises to 34

Reading Time:1 minute
Why you can trust SCMP
People transfer an injured man to a hospital in northwest Pakistan's Peshawar. Photo: Xinhua

The death toll from a suicide attack at a funeral in Pakistan rose to 34 on Wednesday after seven victims died overnight in hospital, police said.

“The death toll has risen to 34, seven more critically injured have died in hospital,” police official Tahir Ayub told AFP.

Another 43 people are still being treated for injuries in hospital after Tuesday’s attack in Shergarh town in Mardan district, 145 kilometres (90 miles) northwest of Islamabad.

Advertisement

The bomber struck as mourners gathered for funeral prayers for the owner of a local fuel station.

There has been no claim of responsibility but police say the target was Imran Khan Mohmand, an independent lawmaker in the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa provincial assembly who won a seat in elections last month.

Advertisement

Khyber Pakhtunkhwa is on the frontline of a seven-year Taliban insurgency and borders the semi-autonomous tribal belt, where US drone strikes target Taliban and Al-Qaeda operatives.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x