Sultan of Brunei imposes sharia law despite international condemnation
Absolute monarch ignores international critics and says Islamic code takes effect today, paving way for severing of limbs and death by stoning

The Sultan of oil-rich Brunei announced that tough Islamic criminal punishments would be introduced today, pushing ahead with plans that have sparked international condemnation and rare domestic criticism of the fabulously wealthy ruler.
"With faith and gratitude to Allah the almighty, I declare that tomorrow, Thursday May 1, 2014, will see the enforcement of sharia law phase one, to be followed by the other phases," the absolute monarch said in a royal decree yesterday.
It’s a return to medieval punishment … It’s a huge step back
Plans for the sharia penalties - which will eventually include flogging, severing of limbs and death by stoning - triggered condemnation on social media sites in the tiny, sleepy sultanate earlier this year.
Confusion has swirled around implementation following the unexplained postponement of an expected April 22 start date that raised questions over whether the Muslim monarch was hesitating.
But 67-year-old Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah - one of the world's wealthiest men - said in his decree that the move was "a must" under Islam, dismissing "never-ending theories" that sharia punishments were cruel in comments clearly aimed at detractors.
"Theory states that Allah's law is cruel and unfair but Allah himself has said that his law is indeed fair," he said.