Advertisement
Asia

Japan orders 1.6m to flee Typhoon Halong; one dead, travel chaos

2-MIN READ2-MIN
Typhoon Halong is lashing Japan as it enters a holiday week, injuring six people and causing authorities to order the evacuation of half a million people near swollen rivers. Photo: AP
Reuters

Typhoon Halong killed one person in Japan on Sunday and injured 33, media said, as authorities ordered 1.6 million people out of the path of the storm that battered the west of the country with heavy rain and wind.

Authorities issued the highest typhoon alert and landslide warnings as the storm dumped a metre of rain in an hour, and caused widespread disruption to travel at the beginning of the summer holiday season.

Watch: Typhoon Halong slams into Japan's western main island

Advertisement

One man was washed away in an overflowing river in Gifu prefecture and died later in hospital, while a surfer was missing off the coast of Wakayama prefecture, the NHK national broadcaster said, adding that 33 people had been injured.

Advertisement

More than 200 flights were cancelled and some bullet trains suspended services, leaving people setting off for "o-bon" summer holidays stranded at airports and stations.

Hundreds of flights are cancelled due to Typhoon Halong, stranding Obon summer holiday goers. Photo: AFP
Hundreds of flights are cancelled due to Typhoon Halong, stranding Obon summer holiday goers. Photo: AFP
The typhoon is expected to head north, passing over Japan’s main island of Honshu. About 40 cm (16 inches) of rain and heavy wind are forecast for eastern Japan, including the Tokyo metropolitan area.
Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x