Advertisement
Fame and celebrity
AsiaAustralasia

Australian actor Geoffrey Rush quits industry job after ‘inappropriate behaviour’ claim

The Sydney Theatre Company revealed last week that it had received a complaint alleging that he had engaged in “inappropriate behaviour” when working with the company

2-MIN READ2-MIN
Australian actor Geoffrey Rush. The Sydney Theatre Company says it received a complaint of “inappropriate behaviour” against Rush, an allegation lawyers for the Oscar winner denied. Photo: AP
Agence France-Presse

Academy award-winning actor Geoffrey Rush resigned as head of an Australian film industry body on Saturday after allegations surfaced against him of “inappropriate behaviour”.

Rush, who has denied any wrongdoing, stepped down as president of the Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts (AACTA), which he had led for several years, the organisation said in a statement.

“AACTA acknowledges the decision today of Geoffrey Rush to voluntarily step aside as president of AACTA and accepts and respects his decision to do so,” it said.

Advertisement

“We have been deeply concerned about the situation and support a course of action that both respects Geoffrey’s rights to the presumption of innocence and due process, but also acknowledges good corporate governance in these circumstances,” it added, declining further comment.

Rush, 66, took the step after the Sydney Theatre Company revealed last week that it had received a complaint alleging that the veteran Australian actor had engaged in “inappropriate behaviour” when working with the company.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x