‘Absolutely terrifying’ New Zealand storm leaves 30,000 homes without power
One man was found dead in a submerged vehicle on a highway after heavy rains and strong winds lashed the North Island over the weekend

Domestic media reported a few flights had resumed operating by afternoon from the airport in Wellington, the capital, although cancellations were still widespread after authorities said most morning flights were disrupted.
Air New Zealand said it hoped to resume services when conditions ease later on Monday, after it paused operations at Wellington, Napier and Palmerston North airports.
Online images showed flooded semirural neighbourhoods, inundated homes, trees fallen on vehicles and collapsed sections of road after waters receded.

The weather had been “absolutely terrifying”, Marilyn Bulford, who lives in the rural town of Bunnythorpe, about 160km (100 miles) north of Wellington, told The New Zealand Herald newspaper.
“I’ve never seen huge trees blowing around this much,” she added. “It’s so bad. I haven’t seen anything like it.”