-
Advertisement
South China Sea
AsiaDiplomacy

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte open to South China Sea resources-sharing deals with China and Vietnam

The competing claims to the sea, which is believed to sit atop vast oil and gas deposits, have for decades made it one of Asia’s potential military flashpoints

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte gestures as he speaks shortly after arriving in Davao on May 16, 2017, from a working visit to China. Duterte said on May 16 he was open to jointly exploration with Beijing resources in the disputed South China Sea, following a meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping. / AFP PHOTO / MANMAN DEJETO
Agence France-Presse

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said on Tuesday he was open to exploring the South China Sea’s natural resources with rival claimants China and Vietnam, after securing a “windfall” while in Beijing.

Duterte also emphasised he had no immediate plans to pressure China over an international tribunal’s ruling last year that its sweeping claims to most of the sea were unlawful.

“If we can get something there with no hassle at all, why not,” Duterte told reporters when asked about a proposal for jointly exploring the sea with China and Vietnam.

Advertisement

He emphasised the deal would have to be “fair and balanced”.

Duterte made no mention of Malaysia and Brunei, the two other Southeast Asian nations that also have claims to the sea.

Advertisement

The competing claims to the sea, which is believed to sit atop vast oil and gas deposits, have for decades made it one of Asia’s potential military flashpoints.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x