The latest crisis on the Korean peninsula has not only renewed attention over China's North Korea policy but may also inadvertently impact Beijing's massive military parade next week, according to diplomatic sources and analysts. As talks to defuse the border stand-off between North and South Korea continued for a third day yesterday, a diplomatic source said South Korean President Park Geun-hye might have to cancel her trip to Beijing if negotiations failed and tensions flared up. The South Korean government announced last week that Park would be attending activities commemorating the 70th anniversary of the end of the second world war next week, although it was still not clear whether she would be showing up at the military parade, a centrepiece event. Her decision to visit Beijing comes as many Western leaders are still reluctant to lend their support to an event that they see as intended to drum up nationalism in China and to target Japan. Public opinion within South Korea has been split on whether she should go to China, with supporters seeing it as a move to nurture ties with an important economic partner while opponents fear it could undermine relations with the country's major ally the United States. China's support for North Korea during the Korean war has also prompted criticism of Park's trip to China. "But if the tensions [at the border] escalate, she will not be able to go to Beijing," the source said. In response to the exchange of fire last week, the foreign ministry in Beijing said in a statement on Thursday that the "relevant parties" should remain calm and restrained. In an apparent rebuttal, the North Korean government said it had exercised "self restraint for decades", and "now no one's talk about self-restraint is helpful to putting the situation under control". Analysts have long questioned Beijing's willingness to bring Pyongyang under control as its policies still help prop up the state's economy despite pledges to introduce sanctions. "Beijing's call is obviously not enough," said Hwang Byong-moo, an emeritus professor with Korea National Defence University. Yesterday, the South Korean leader vowed not to retreat from the military stand-off with North Korea, adding that Pyongyang should make a "clear apology" for landmine blasts this month that maimed two patrolling South Korean soldiers. Otherwise, she added, Seoul would continue the high-decibel propaganda broadcasts across the border that have infuriated the North and prompted threats of concerted military strikes. The current stand-off has already triggered a rare exchange of artillery fire. "There will be no retreat in the face of North Korean threats," Park said, promising "stern retaliation" for further provocation. Park has maintained a strong line on not appeasing North Korea since she came to office. The marathon talks that began on Saturday in Panmunjom between top aides to both countries' leaders have so far failed to thrash out a mutually acceptable way to calm the situation.