Advertisement
AsiaEast Asia

Kim Jong-un sacks top North Korean officials in wake of border stand-off with South

The move by the North Korean leader's suggests the officials were punished causing the tense confrontation

2-MIN READ2-MIN
Kim Jong-un hailed this week's agreement with South Korea as a “crucial landmark”. Photo: EPA
Associated Press

North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has dismissed top officials in the wake of a recent stand-off with South Korea, state media reported on Friday, a move that suggests the young leader holds them responsible for allowing the confrontation to nearly spin out of control.

The rival Koreas earlier this week threatened strikes against each other before agreeing on measures to reduce animosity. The stand-off began after land mines that Seoul says the North planted maimed two South Korean soldiers.

Seoul responded by resuming propaganda broadcasts critical of Kim’s authoritarian rule for the first time in 11 years. Pyongyang then threatened to destroy the South Korean loudspeakers, and Seoul says the rivals exchanged artillery fire at the border.

Advertisement

During a ruling Workers’ Party meeting, Kim hailed the agreement, which came after marathon talks, as a “crucial landmark” that put “catastrophic” inter-Korean relations back on track toward reconciliation, according to Pyongyang’s Korean Central News Agency.

Kim also dismissed an unspecified number of members of the party’s Central Military Commission, which handled the stand-off, a KCNA dispatch said.

Advertisement

It gave no reasons for the dismissals, but outside analysts said they might have been sacked because they misjudged South Korea’s strong response to the mine blasts.

The North Korean leader presided over a meeting of the Central Military Commission of the Workers' Party of Korea, in Pyongyang. Photo: EPA
The North Korean leader presided over a meeting of the Central Military Commission of the Workers' Party of Korea, in Pyongyang. Photo: EPA
Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x