South Koreans held as slaves for as long as 20 years sue government over ordeal
More than 60 slaves, most of them mentally ill, were rescued last year

Eight men who had been held as slaves at South Korean salt farms for several years took the government to court on Friday for alleged negligence and police inaction they say largely caused and prolonged their ordeal.
In the lawsuit filed at the Seoul Central District Court, lawyers sought a compensation of 30 million won (HK$200,000) for each of the men from the central government and two island counties, where the farms were located. The plaintiffs have different levels of disabilities, and were enslaved at the rural islands off South Korea's southwest coast for as many as 20 years.
Dozens of farm owners and job brokers were indicted, but no regional police or officials were punished despite multiple interviews in which the victims said some knew about the slaves and even stopped escape attempts.
The disturbing cases of abuse, captivity and human trafficking were highlighted in a months-long investigation, which showed that slavery has long thrived in the islands and will likely continue to do so without stronger government attempts to stem it.
Choi Jung Kyu, one of several lawyers behind the lawsuit, said he was expecting an uphill battle in court as compensation suits against the government in human rights abuse cases are rarely successful in South Korea. This is mainly because, he said, the South Korean law puts the burden of proof entirely on the plaintiffs in non-criminal cases.