The Miyagi prefectural government said on Monday it will remove an online tourism promotional video that has stirred up criticism for being sexually suggestive. The local government in northeastern Japan plans to withdraw the video after a tourism event scheduled for Saturday in Sendai, the prefecture’s capital, amid unabated criticism from viewers and female assembly members despite its earlier decision to keep it streamed. “We need to be considerate toward those who are unhappy and have negative feelings about it,” said Miyagi Governor Yoshihiro Murai, who had earlier defended a decision to upload the video. “But I have no doubt the video played its role of attracting visitors to Miyagi prefecture,” Murai said. As part of Miyagi’s campaign running through September, the 150-second video, which showcases tourist spots and specialties, features model and actress Dan Mitsu, known for playing erotic roles, as a guide in a kimono. The video contains suggestive and provocative lines, while there are repeated close-up images of her parting lips and her rubbing the head of mascot. Monday’s announcement came a month after assemblywomen in Miyagi demanded the video be removed but Murai refused, arguing the controversy proved the promotional campaign is a success. The government has received about 380 complaints or negative comments about the video via phone calls, emails and letters. The video was produced jointly by the prefectural government, the city office of Sendai and East Japan Railway Company for 23 million yen (US$200,000), part of which came from a fund for reconstruction from the March 2011 earthquake-tsunami disaster that struck wide areas of the Tohoku region. “The video has already gained a number of views and served its purpose of promotion to a certain degree,” an official in charge of the campaign said without commenting on the association between the latest decision and the criticism. Saturday’s campaign event in Sendai will feature Dan Mitsu as the main guest.