Advertisement
North Korea
AsiaEast Asia

North Korean defector numbers slump as controls tighten

2-MIN READ2-MIN
A North Korean soldier takes a photo of a South Korean soldier on guard just behind the military demarcation line. Photo: EPA
Agence France-Presse

Fewer than 100 North Koreans a month defected to the South last year, Seoul said on Friday, the lowest for 15 years as Pyongyang and Beijing both tighten controls on movement.

A total of 1,127 North Koreans went to the South last year, down 21 per cent from 2016, according to data from the unification ministry. It was the lowest figure since 2001.

Most defectors from the impoverished North, which suffers chronic food shortages and is subject to UN Security Council sanctions over its banned nuclear weapons and ballistic missile programmes, go to China first.

They sometimes stay there for several years before making their way to the South, often through a third country.

Advertisement
The Sino-Korean Friendship Bridge near the mainland Chinese city of Dandong. Photo: Kyodo
The Sino-Korean Friendship Bridge near the mainland Chinese city of Dandong. Photo: Kyodo

“This decrease in arrivals is extremely concerning because it’s not that life became that much better in North Korea, it is because the Chinese authorities, while signing up for increased sanctions on the North Korean economy, also stepped up their crackdowns on North Korean refugees,” said Sokeel Park of Liberty in North Korea, which helps defectors reach the South.

Advertisement

Chinese officials were therefore “complicit in the North Korean government’s human rights abuses”, he said.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x