image

North Korea

US suspends ‘war games’ with South Korea – but military drills with Japan continue

US and South Korean forces have been training together for years, and routinely rehearse everything from beach landings to an invasion from the North, or even ‘decapitation’ strikes targeting the North Korean regime

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 19 June, 2018, 6:23pm
UPDATED : Tuesday, 19 June, 2018, 9:15pm

South Korea on Tuesday presented a united front with the United States on a decision to call off a major military drill, one week after US President Donald Trump’s surprise announcement that he would suspend such exercises with the long-time Asian ally.

Soon after the US and South Korean militaries formally announced the Ulchi Freedom Guardian exercises slated for August had been called off, Seoul’s Defence Ministry said the decision was necessary to support ongoing talks both countries have with North Korea.

“South Korea and the US made the decision as we believe this will contribute to maintaining such momentum,” said Choi Hyun-soo, the ministry’s spokeswoman.

The announcement was widely anticipated following Trump’s meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un last week.

Trump said after the summit in Singapore that he would suspend the US military’s “war games” with South Korea unless and until the talks on ending North Korea’s nuclear weapons programme break down.

His statement appeared to catch both South Korea and the Pentagon by surprise, but they presented a united front in cancelling the upcoming exercise.

Japan angry as South Korea holds war games to defend against ‘island attack’

Dana White, spokeswoman for the US Defence Department, said planning for the summer drills had stopped, but no decisions have been made on any other military exercises with South Korea.

Joint exercises with Japan and other countries in the Pacific would continue.

Choi echoed that nothing has been decided on other exercises. She was unwilling to provide a straightforward answer when asked whether there had been any discussions between the allies’ militaries on suspending the drills before Trump’s sudden announcement.

“We consider the ongoing denuclearisation negotiations with North Korea as crucial, so as long as those negotiations continue, the decision by the governments of South Korea and the United States will be maintained,” she said.

‘Those are literally the North Korean and Chinese talking points’: why Trump’s decision to halt military exercises with South Korea makes allies nervous

Trump’s decision raised concern in Japan, which hosts tens of thousands of US troops and has eyed the diplomatic outreach to Pyongyang with deep suspicion.

Japan’s Defence Minister Itsunori Onodera stressed the need for the two countries to continue their other joint drills.

He called US-South Korean exercises “important pillars” to maintaining regional peace and stability. Plans for US-Japan exercises are unchanged, he added.

But senior Japanese government officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said they were concerned the suspension of the Ulchi Freedom Guardian exercise could weaken deterrence provided by the United States.

In Beijing, a foreign ministry spokesman said the suspension of US-South Korean drills was a “positive and constructive move”.

During the tensions created by North Korean weapons tests in recent years, China had called for a “dual suspension” in which the North would stop its nuclear and missile tests and Washington and Seoul would halt their military exercises to lower animosity and lead to talks.

Trump’s nominee for US ambassador to South Korea supports ‘a pause’ in joint military exercises

“We support this, we hope the relevant parties will move in the same direction to make greater efforts to promote the peace and denuclearisation process for the peninsula,” Geng Shuang said in a regular briefing.

Last year’s Ulchi Freedom Guardian went on for 11 days in August and involved about 17,500 US and 50,000 South Korean troops.

Also taking part were other nations that contributed forces during the 1950-53 Korean war, including Australia, Britain, Canada and Colombia.

The summertime military exercises usually coincide with a nationwide civilian defence drill in South Korea in which ordinary people take shelter in buildings and subway stations at the sound of air-raid sirens.

Presidential spokesman Kim Eui-keum said the civilian drill could be held as planned, suspended or modified to reflect “changing circumstances”.

Sidelined on North Korea, Japan needs all of Shinzo Abe’s diplomatic skill to get back into the game

The other major US military exercises with South Korea – Key Resolve and Foal Eagle – took place earlier this spring.

They historically include live-fire drills with tanks, aircraft and warships and feature about 10,000 American and 200,000 Korean troops.

The drills were delayed this year because of North Korean participation in the Winter Olympics in South Korea in February.

Additional reporting by Agence France-Presse and Kyodo