image

North Korea

Japanese tourist expelled from North Korea for ‘crimes’ now in China

The man may have been suspected of shooting video footage of a military facility when he visited the western port city of Nampo with a tour group

PUBLISHED : Monday, 27 August, 2018, 8:53am
UPDATED : Monday, 27 August, 2018, 10:03pm

A Japanese man detained in North Korea has been deported and is now in China, a diplomatic source in Japan said on Monday, a day after Pyongyang’s state-run media reported that the nation has decided to expel him “on the principle of humanitarianism”.

Tomoyuki Sugimoto, who visited North Korea as a tourist, has been “kept under control by a relevant institution to be inquired into his crime” against the country’s laws, but it was “decided to leniently condone him,” the Korean Central News Agency said in English on Sunday.

In China, Japanese officials were questioning Sugimoto in connection with his detention and checking his health condition, the source said.

A source close to North Korea in China said Sugimoto was expected to come to Beijing later, but did not comment on whether he was already released by North Korea.

Abe’s nuclear disaster: why has Japan been shut out of North Korea talks?

Japan’s Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga, the government’s top spokesman, declined to comment.

A Japanese government source said earlier that a man detained in North Korea this month was thought to be a videographer in his 30s from Shiga Prefecture in central Japan.

The man may have been suspected of shooting video footage of a military facility when he visited the western port city of Nampo with a tour group, the source said.

Trump blames China for decision to pull US Secretary of State’s North Korea trip

The man was visiting North Korea on a tour arranged by a China-based travel agency, the source said, adding that there is unconfirmed information about him having visited the country in the past.

“We will have to complete several procedures before his return to Japan. We have to support him as the government,” said a source in Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s administration.

There have been concerns that the detention of the Japanese tourist could adversely affect Abe’s effort to arrange a summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, a meeting that he hopes will lead to progress on the issue of Japanese nationals abducted by North Korea in the 1970s and 1980s.

Foreign affairs experts say, however, that the tourist’s release, should it be realised, is unlikely to pave the way for a summit as Pyongyang has stepped up criticism of Tokyo.

In recent months, North Korean official media have said the issue has been already “resolved”, while calling on Tokyo to atone for its past military occupation and colonial rule of Korea.

Abe has said tackling the abduction issue is his “life’s work”.

As Kim talks peace, silent rage of Japanese abductees’ families

The Japanese government has requested that all its citizens refrain from travelling to North Korea, as part of sanctions against Pyongyang, which has developed nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles in defiance of international warnings.

In 1999, a Japanese newspaper reporter was taken into custody in North Korea on spy charges and detained for about two years.

A Japanese trader was detained in 2003 on suspicion of smuggling drugs. It took around five years and three months before he was allowed to leave North Korea.