-
Advertisement
Japan
AsiaEast Asia

Okinawa governor rejects government request over US base transfer

  • Defence minister called for understanding as government resumed construction, but governor Denny Tamaki said island prefecture ‘will not waver’

Reading Time:1 minute
Why you can trust SCMP
A November 1, 2018 photo of reclamation work resuming in Okinawa for the US Marine Corps Air Station Futenma. Photo: Kyodo
Kyodo

Okinawa Governor Denny Tamaki stepped up his conflict with the central government on Saturday over plans for a US military base transfer within the island prefecture, rejecting calls for understanding as the government resumed construction.

Tamaki, elected in September on an anti-base platform, met Defence Minister Takeshi Iwaya at the prefectural government office. The governor has been urging the state to move the US Marine Corps Air Station Futenma outside the southwestern prefecture, where the bulk of US military facilities in Japan are located.

Okinawa Governor Denny Tamaki at the Foreign Correspondents’ Club in Tokyo on November 9, 2018. Photo: Reuters
Okinawa Governor Denny Tamaki at the Foreign Correspondents’ Club in Tokyo on November 9, 2018. Photo: Reuters
Advertisement

“I was elected by pledging to oppose the relocation to Henoko. The will of the people will not waver,” Tamaki told Iwaya.

Japan and the US have agreed to move the base from a densely populated residential area in Ginowan to Henoko off Nago city.

Advertisement

The central government continues to prioritise “removing the dangers of the Futenma air station … and realising the return of the land”, said Iwaya, who visited Okinawa for the first time since assuming office last month.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x