A Japanese journalist has defended her view that Korean women who were sent to wartime military brothels were not sex slaves, and accused a liberal-leaning newspaper of fabrication. One of the newspaper’s reporters said a day earlier that the journalist’s comments triggered threats against him and had interfered with the settlement of the issue between Japan and South Korea. Their public row — a defamation suit by reporter Takashi Uemura against journalist Yoshiko Sakurai — highlights Japan’s struggle to come to terms with its wartime atrocities more than 70 years after the second world war. The two represent the divide. The conservatives hold the Asahi newspaper, where Uemura used to work, responsible for spreading the impression that all so-called “comfort women” were coerced. Liberals say evidence, including court documents and accounts of the women, shows many people were forced into sexual slavery. Sakurai told a news conference on Friday that she sympathises with comfort women despite their being “prostitutes” but that “I still think the Asahi and Mr Uemura should be held accountable” for hurting Japan’s image. She said Japan cannot have a unified view of its wartime history because of what she called media bias. The former newsreader at Nippon Television spearheads the view of Japanese nationalists that comfort women were voluntary prostitutes, and that Japan has been unfairly criticised for a practice they say is common in any country at war. She is close to the country’s powerful conservative political lobby, which includes many lawmakers in Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s Cabinet and ruling Liberal Democratic Party, and backs Abe’s campaign for an amendment of Japan’s pacifist constitution. Uemura, who currently teaches at a university in South Korea while heading a liberal Japanese magazine, says he is worried about a widening gap in the understanding of wartime history between the two countries. The comfort women and other wartime issues have often strained relations between Tokyo and Seoul, most recently after a South Korean court ruling on Japan’s forced mobilisation of Korean labourers during the war. Chinese former ‘comfort women’ break silence about brutal treatment by Japanese soldiers Uemura in 2015 filed a defamation suit against Sakurai and three publishers that carried articles by her that alleged his stories were “fabrication”. A district court in Sapporo in northern Japan ruled last Friday that Sakurai’s articles hurt Uemura’s reputation but did not amount to defamation. Uemura wants Sakurai and the magazines to publish an apology and pay 16.5 million yen (US$146,000) in compensation. He said he will appeal to a higher court. He has also filed other libel suits against a scholar and a publisher in Tokyo. Japan’s conservatives cry bias over UN ‘comfort women’ comments Historians say tens of thousands of women, including Japanese, Koreans and others from around Asia were sent to front-line military brothels to provide sex for Japanese soldiers. A 1991-1993 Japanese government investigation concluded many of the women were recruited against their will, leading to a landmark Japanese apology. The investigation found no written proof in official documents, and conservatives have cited that in arguing the women were not coerced.