Advertisement
North Korea
AsiaEast Asia

US intelligence chief Dan Coats contradicts President Trump, says North Korea won’t give up nukes because they’re ‘critical to regime survival’

  • Trump asserted after the Singapore summit with Kim Jong-un last year that North Korea no longer poses a nuclear threat
  • US officials have also revealed Russia made a secret proposal to North Korea, offering Pyongyang a nuclear power plant

3-MIN READ3-MIN
Dan Coats, director of national intelligence. Photo: Bloomberg
The Washington Post
North Korea is unlikely to completely abandon its nuclear weapons programme, a top US intelligence official said on Tuesday as the two countries plan to hold a second summit in late February to discuss the denuclearisation of Pyongyang.

“We currently assess that North Korea will seek to retain its WMD capabilities and is unlikely to completely give up its nuclear weapons and production capabilities because its leaders ultimately view nuclear weapons as critical to regime survival,” Dan Coats, the director of national intelligence, told a Senate hearing, referring to weapons of mass destruction.

Coats did note that North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has expressed support for ridding the Korean peninsula of nuclear weapons and over the past year has not test-fired a nuclear-capable missile or conducted a nuclear test.

The “Worldwide Threat Assessment” report on which Coats based his testimony said US intelligence continues to “observe activity inconsistent with” full nuclear disarmament by the North. “In addition, North Korea has for years underscored its commitment to nuclear arms, including through an order in 2018 to mass-produce weapons and an earlier law – and constitutional change – affirming the country’s nuclear status,” it said.

The report said Kim’s support at his June 2018 Singapore summit with Trump for “complete denuclearisation of the Korean peninsula” is a formulation linked to an end to American military deployments and exercises involving nuclear weapons.
Advertisement

Trump asserted after the Singapore summit that North Korea no longer poses a nuclear threat. However, Coats and other intelligence officials made clear they see it differently.

North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and US President Donald Trump in Singapore in 2018. Photo: AP
North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and US President Donald Trump in Singapore in 2018. Photo: AP
Advertisement

“The capabilities and threat that existed a year ago are still there,” said Lieutenant General Robert Ashley, the director of the Defence Intelligence Agency.

Plans for a follow-up Trump-Kim summit are in the works, but no agenda, venue or date has been announced.
Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x