Advertisement
South Korea
AsiaEast Asia

South Korea, US military drills ready to begin but coronavirus means downsizing

  • The programme involves tens of thousands of soldiers from both sides, largely focused on computerised simulations rather than live field training
  • The drills are closely monitored by North Korea which calls them a ‘rehearsal for war’ and had already been reduced in recent years

2-MIN READ2-MIN
South Korean marines during drills on Yeonpyeong island. Photo: AP
Reuters
South Korea and the United States will kick off their annual joint military drills this week but without mobilising US-based troops after scaling back the programme due to coronavirus concerns, South Korean media reported on Wednesday.

The allies have been discussing how to adjust the exercises, which usually begin in August, with the coronavirus threatening to disrupt the travel of US personnel.

The programme involves tens of thousands of soldiers from both sides, though largely focused on computerised simulations rather than live field training.

Advertisement
South Korean special forces participating in a military drill on the islets of Dokdo. Photo: AFP
South Korean special forces participating in a military drill on the islets of Dokdo. Photo: AFP

The exercises will be held from August 16-28 but in a reduced scale, though the time frame was extended by a couple of days to disperse participants and minimise night activities, the Yonhap news agency said.

Advertisement

Seoul’s defence ministry spokesman said the plans have not yet been finalised. The US Forces Korea (USFK) did not immediately respond to a request seeking comment.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x