Sri Lanka

Sri Lanka to investigate law and order breakdown after four days of deadly anti-Muslim riots in Kandy

Three people died, 20 others were wounded and more than 200 Muslim-owned businesses and homes were destroyed before the chaos ended on Thursday

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 10 March, 2018, 4:44pm
UPDATED : Saturday, 10 March, 2018, 11:16pm

An investigation into anti-Muslim riots that spread in central Sri Lanka prompting the authorities to declare a nationwide state of emergency was announced on Saturday by President Maithripala Sirisena.

A panel of three retired judges will look into the breakdown of law and order in the picturesque hill resort of Kandy, Sirisena’s office said in a statement.

Three people died, 20 others were wounded and more than 200 Muslim-owned businesses and homes were destroyed in four days of rioting that finally died down on Thursday.

Eleven mosques were also damaged or completely destroyed by Sinhalese mobs, according to police who say the situation has been brought under control after a heavy military deployment.

Sri Lanka blocks Facebook, Instagram, Viber and WhatsApp as anti-Muslim riots flare up

A curfew in the district, which is 115km (72 miles) east of the capital Colombo, was lifted at dawn on Saturday but army soldiers continued to patrol alongside police, officials said.

Sri Lanka’s Muslim minority held their Friday prayers under military protection across the island amid fears of fresh attacks. However, the weekly religious activity went off without incident, authorities said.

Hundreds of Buddhist monks and activists staged demonstrations in Colombo on Friday denouncing the anti-Muslim attacks and urging authorities to take strong action against the perpetrators.

Police said nearly 150 people, including the main instigator, have been arrested over the unrest.

They named the main suspect as Amith Weerasinghe, a man from the mainly Buddhist Sinhalese majority known for anti-Muslim activism and outspoken social media posts, and said he was taken into custody on Thursday.

The government declared a state of emergency on Tuesday as the unrest escalated, when a Muslim man was found dead in a burnt-out building, a day after a Sinhalese man died of injuries sustained in an attack carried out by Muslim men.