-
Advertisement
Asia

Aussie Neighbours actress accused of kidnapping son from estranged partner in KL restaurant to return home

Reading Time:1 minute
Why you can trust SCMP
Australian actress and former ‘Neighbours’ star Eliza Szonert. Photo: Twitter
Agence France-Presse

An Australian actress who was detained in Malaysia after allegedly kidnapping her son is to be allowed to return home with no charges filed against her, a senior police official said Wednesday.

Eliza Szonert was taken into police custody last week for allegedly grabbing her son while he was with her separated partner at a restaurant earlier this month.

She can leave Malaysia for home with her son. We have investigated the case and the deputy public prosecutor has decided that there will be no prosecution against her
Tajuddin Mohamad Isa

“She can leave Malaysia for home with her son. We have investigated the case and the deputy public prosecutor has decided that there will be no prosecution against her,” Kuala Lumpur police chief Tajuddin Mohamad Isa said.

Advertisement

“Our concern is for the well-being of the child.”

Szonert, who acted in the popular Australian TV soap opera “Neighbours”, was engulfed in controversy after the alleged snatching was caught on video.

Advertisement

The Melbourne actress is alleged to have abducted her son from his father Ashley Crick, a businessman now based in Malaysia, at a restaurant in a popular mall in Kuala Lumpur on December 10.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x