-
Advertisement
AsiaSoutheast Asia

Abu Sayyaf militants release Filipino girlfriend of beheaded Canadian hostage

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
Freed Filipino hostage Marites Flor was released a day after seven Indonesian sailors were abducted in southern Philippines waters. Photo: EPA
Agence France-Presse

A Filipina held hostage by a notorious kidnapping-for-ransom gang in the strife-torn southern Philippines was released from captivity on Friday, police said, a week after her Canadian boyfriend was beheaded by the gunmen.

Marites Flor was among four people abducted nine months ago by Abu Sayyaf militants based on remote, mountainous islands, who have earned millions of dollars from kidnappings in recent years.

Flor’s partner, Robert Hall, was beheaded after a ransom deadline lapsed last week, following a similar killing of the other Canadian hostage, John Ridsdel, in April.

Advertisement

Flor was freed in Sulu, a southern archipelago known as a hideout of the militants, according to local police chief Wilfredo Cayat.

Cayat did not give details on the circumstances of her release except that she was dropped off outside the house of local politician Abdusakur Tan on Jolo, the main island in Sulu.

Advertisement

Another politician from the area, Jesus Dureza, said he negotiated with the kidnappers on behalf of incoming Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte to win Flor’s release.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x