Philippine drug cops extorted ransom from woman for return of South Korean husband. But he was already dead.

Philippine police kidnapped and murdered a South Korean businessman, then led his wife to believe he was alive for months to extort money from her, authorities said Wednesday.
The killing is the latest in a long series of criminal acts by members of the Philippine police force, regarded as one of the nation’s most corrupt institutions, and has fuelled concerns about its role enforcing President Rodrigo Duterte’s deadly crime war.
The man disappeared from his home in the northern city of Angeles in October last year, and his wife initially paid a ransom of five million pesos ($100,000), national police spokesman Dionardo Carlos said.
However, the man was strangled to death and burned to ashes in a crematorium on the day he was abducted, the South Korean foreign ministry said, citing a Philippine government report.
The crematorium was owned by a former police officer, the foreign ministry said.
