Malaysian woman on holiday in Turkey dies of spider bite
Woman was bitten on the leg when she was in a hot air balloon
By Teoh Pei-ying
A 27-year-old Malaysian woman died in Istanbul on Monday from suspected spider bite.
This was confirmed by the management of IBC Tours Corporation Sdn Bhd, which was in charge of the victim’s trip to Turkey.
The deceased Noor Azmeera Sahudin was on a holiday to Turkey with her family members from September 16 to Sept 24 when she was admitted to a hospital in Istanbul.
IBC Tours Corporation Sdn Bhd director Mohammad Rizal Narusuddin said she was bitten on her leg when she was on board the hot air balloon in Cappadocia on September 18.
“She was not aware of the bite and was only complaining of irritation. Three days later she complained of leg pain and the tour guide decided to take her to a hospital in Bursa for a checkup.
“The victim was given antibiotics. She was later admitted to Istanbul General Hospital when she complained of pain at her waist,” he said.
Rizal said the doctor confirmed she was bitten on her leg and the poison had spread to her waist.
“We learnt about her death at 9pm yesterday. We helped to arrange for insurance claims, hotel extension and return tickets for the victim’s family members who requested to extend their stay.
“The family members wanted to bury the victim in Istanbul. The Malaysian embassy in Turkey and the tourism board are helping in the burial ritual,” he said.
He added that the company was also helping the victim’s family to return to Malaysia after she was laid to rest.