Advertisement
Singapore
AsiaSoutheast Asia

Singapore will change law following public backlash against megachurch founder’s lenient sentence for fraud

Sentences were cut last year by the High Court after the defendants successfully argued they should not have been charged under a law punishing criminal breach of trust by public individuals in senior positions

2-MIN READ2-MIN
City Harvest Church founder Kong Hee in 2015. Photo> AFP
Agence France-Presse

Singapore will amend a law that allowed a megachurch pastor to escape a harsher prison term for fraud despite funnelling millions in church funds into his wife’s music career, a senior official said Monday, following a public backlash.

In a case that fascinated Singapore with a heady mix of religion, showbiz and fraud, Kong Hee and five other church leaders were convicted in 2015 of spending S$24 million (US$19.8 million) from a church building fund to promote his wife Ho’s pop career.

But, in a country which prides itself on its tough stance on corruption, a High Court ruling that cut their sentences last year on a technicality – upheld by an appeal court last week – triggered widespread anger including personal insults against the judges.

Advertisement

Law and Home Affairs Minister K. Shanmugam said Monday the government believes the sentences handed to Kong and his fellow church leaders were “too low” and the law which allowed them the shorter jail terms should be amended.

“It is now up to parliament to amend the law, and that, we should do soon,” Shanmugam told the legislature.

It is now up to parliament to amend the law, and that, we should do soon
K. Shanmugam, Law and Home Affairs Minister

The six City Harvest Church leaders including Kong were initially handed prison terms ranging between eight years and 21 months by a lower court in 2015.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x