Malaysia to be ‘firm’ in South China Sea row after PM Mahathir Mohamad said warships create tension

Mahathir, who won a stunning electoral victory in May, has said warships should be removed from the South China Sea

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 25 July, 2018, 2:02pm
UPDATED : Tuesday, 07 August, 2018, 2:31pm

Foreign Minister Saifuddin Abdullah said Wednesday that Malaysia’s new government will adopt a firmer stand in tackling a decades-old territorial row in the South China Sea amid China’s aggressive expansion in the disputed area.

Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad, who won a stunning electoral victory in May, has said warships should be removed from the South China Sea.

“I think there should not be too many warships. Warships create tension,” the 93-year-old leader told the South China Morning Post in an exclusive interview last month.

Saifuddin said that Mahathir was “sending a signal that we want to be more firm, more serious” in handling the maritime dispute.

The 2002 declaration of conduct by claimants in the South China Sea that set loose guidelines for behaviour in the disputed waters has “no fangs” and China’s continued militarisation of the area has raised concern and could potentially escalate regional tensions, he told Parliament.

Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad plans to visit China in August after suspending projects worth US$20 billion

China has sent big coastguard vessels that resemble warships to the potentially energy rich territory and has caused uneasiness among its neighbours, he said.

Malaysia’s previous government rarely criticises China, even though Chinese coastguard ships have sailed near Malaysia’s waters.

In the Spratly island chain, China has constructed seven man-made islands and equipped them with runways, hangers, radar and missile stations, further cementing its vast territorial claims in the busy waterway.

Saifuddin said Southeast Asian foreign ministers meeting in Singapore next week would seek to accelerate negotiations for a new code of conduct to ensure peace in the South China Sea, which is claimed by China almost in its entirety. Vietnam, Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines and Taiwan all dispute Beijing’s holdings.

All parties should exercise self-restraint and any actions must be based on international law, Saifuddin said.

China and the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations earlier this year began negotiations on the new code of conduct.

However, officials have warned it could take a long time, with no agreement on whether the pact will be legally binding, raising doubts over its effectiveness.

Mahathir, who previously led Malaysia for 22 years until 2003, has sought to reduce China’s economic influence by reassessing lopsided Chinese investment since taking power for a second stint.

The government recently suspended work on a multibillion-dollar rail link that is central to China’s Belt and Road Initiative, and two gas pipeline projects to renegotiate for better terms.

Analysts however, say Mahathir’s more assertive stance on the South China Sea is unlikely to amount to a challenge to Beijing, which is Malaysia’s top trading partner.