Get more with myNEWS
A personalised news feed of stories that matter to you
Learn more
Coffins of victims of Thailand’s mass shooting at a nursery school lay decorated with flowers. Photo: AFP

Thai police investigating CNN crew’s coverage of massacre

  • Police are looking into a report that a CNN crew entered the nursery school without permission after Thursday’s attack
  • CNN said went in when police cordon removed, were told could film inside, did not mean to contravene rules, regretted distress caused

Thai police are investigating a report that a CNN crew inappropriately entered a nursery school while reporting on the aftermath of the massacre in the building that left more than 20 children dead, authorities said on Sunday.

Danaichok Boonsom, head of the local township administration, told reporters he had submitted his report alleging unauthorised entry into the government property and that police were investigating.

“Let the legal process run its course, I don’t want to disclose all the details,” he said as he left the Na Klang district police station in northeastern Thailand. “Let the police do their work investigating.”

Authorities began looking into the incident after a Thai reporter posted an image on social media of two members of the crew leaving the scene, with one climbing over the low wall and fence around the compound, over police tape, and the other already outside.

CNN tweeted that the crew had entered the premises when the police cordon had been removed and were told by three public health officials exiting the building that they could film inside.


‘I folded my hands’: Thai childcare centre workers describe facing assailant before deadly attack

‘I folded my hands’: Thai childcare centre workers describe facing assailant before deadly attack

“The team gathered footage inside the centre for around 15 minutes, then left,” CNN said in its tweet. “During this time, the cordon had been set back in place, so the team needed to climb over the fence at the centre to leave.”


The tweet came in response to criticism from the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Thailand, which said it was “dismayed” by CNN’s coverage and the decision to film the crime scene inside.

“This was unprofessional and a serious breach of journalistic ethics in crime reporting,” the FCCT said.

The Thai Journalists’ Association criticised CNN’s actions as “unethical” and “insensitive” and called for an internal company investigation of the incident in addition to the official Thai probe.

Relatives gather in Thailand on Sunday in front of wreaths and the coffins of victims of Thursday’s mass shooting. Photo: AFP

In a later statement, CNN International’s executive vice-president and general manager Mike McCarthy reiterated that his reporters sought permission to enter the building but the team “now understands that these officials were not authorised to grant this permission”, adding that it was “never their intention to contravene any rules”.

He said CNN had ceased broadcasting the report and had removed the video from its website.


“We deeply regret any distress or offence our report may have caused, and for any inconvenience to the police at such a distressing time for the country,” he said in the statement tweeted by CNN.

Deputy national police chief Surachate Hakparn said the two journalists entered Thailand on tourist visas, which had now been revoked. He said they had been detained pending their expulsion from the country but refused to provide further details.

3-year-old girl survived Thailand day care massacre while sleeping

He later told reporters he hoped to have the case wrapped up quickly.


Police said that in the attack on Thursday, 36 people, 24 of them children, were killed by a former police officer who was fired earlier this year on drug charges and had been due in court on Friday.

As Thailand’s worst such massacre ever, the attack drew widespread international media attention to the small town of Uthai Sawan in the country’s rural northeast. By Sunday, few remained but a large number of Thai media continued to report from the scene.