Kidnapped New Zealand pilot shown alive in video released by Papua rebels
- The man in the video is identified as Philip Mark Mehrtens of Christchurch, a pilot for Indonesia’s Susi Air, who was abducted by the West Papua Liberation Army
- Reading from a piece of paper, he said foreign pilots weren’t allowed to work or fly in Papua until it is independent, and requested the UN mediate negotiations

Separatist rebels in Indonesia’s Papua province released photos and videos on Friday appearing to show a New Zealand pilot they took hostage last month alive.
In a video distributed on Friday by rebel spokesperson Sebby Sambom, a man wearing a blue jacket is identified as Philip Mark Mehrtens of Christchurch, a pilot for Indonesian aviation company Susi Air who was abducted by independence fighters from the West Papua Liberation Army, the armed wing of the Free Papua Movement.
Mehrtens sat at a wooden block on the ground surrounded by separatists holding various weapons, with the morning star flag that is a separatist symbol.
The pilot was instructed to read a statement from a piece of paper he held. He said foreign pilots weren’t allowed to work or fly in Papua until it is independent, and that the Free Papua Movement requested the United Nations mediate independence negotiations.
In a separate video, Mehrtens delivered a message to his family asking them to not worry too much, as he has been taken care of and had enough food and water. He also requested his salary be sent directly to his wife.
Another video shows Egianus Kogoya, the leader of the separatist group reading out demands.