Advertisement
South China Sea: Marcos shrugs off Beijing’s warning, says Philippines will assert maritime rights
- President Marcos Jnr said Manila ‘remains a force and voice of reason’ despite ‘many attempts at provocation’
- His remarks came after China warned the Philippines against colluding with ‘malicious external forces’
2-MIN READ2-MIN
60

The Philippines will continue asserting its rights in the South China Sea, President Ferdinand Marcos Jnr said after China warned the nation against causing “trouble” in disputed waters.
The Southeast Asian nation “remains a force and voice of reason” despite “many attempts at provocation,” Marcos said in a statement quoting his speech before the military on Thursday. He also said that his country exemplifies “responsible and dignified behaviour in resolving issues in accordance with international law.”
The Philippine leader’s remarks came after Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said the two nations’ ties are “facing serious difficulties.” Wang also said Manila “must act with caution” and warned against colluding with “malicious external forces.”
Advertisement
Tensions between China and the Philippines have escalated, with their vessels clashing in the South China Sea several times in recent months. Manila has protested what it describes as Beijing’s harassment, while China has maintained its actions are lawful.
Armed Forces of the Philippines chief Romeo Brawner Jnr was aboard a Philippine boat that was rammed by a Chinese coastguard vessel in the contested waters earlier this month.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x