-
Advertisement
South China Sea
AsiaSoutheast Asia

Philippines rejects South China Sea gun-pointing allegations: ‘we have the right to defend ourselves’

  • Chinese state media reported that personnel on the Sierra Madre warship had pointed guns at China’s coastguard during a confrontation last month
  • Philippine military officials accused Chinese boats of seizing food and medicine airdropped to Filipino troops on the ship at Second Thomas Shoal

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
4
The BRP Sierra Madre was intentionally grounded on the disputed Second Thomas Shoal by the Philippines in 1999 and now acts as a military outpost. Photo: Reuters
Reuters
Philippine troops stationed on a warship grounded on a disputed South China Sea shoal held on to their weapons after Chinese coastguard boats came very close to the ship but they did not point their guns at them, military officials said on Tuesday.
Armed Forces of the Philippines Chief of Staff Romeo Brawner disputed an account by Chinese state broadcaster CCTV of what transpired during a routine resupply mission for Filipino troops on May 19.
CCTV had reported at least two Filipino personnel pointed guns in the direction of a Chinese coastguard vessel during the confrontation at BRP Sierra Madre, which Manila grounded on Second Thomas Shoal and turned into a garrison in 1999.
Advertisement

“It was just in preparation for self-defence in case something happens because they were very close,” Brawner told a press conference, describing the actions of the China Coast Guard as “provocative”.

“We have the right to defend ourselves,” he said, adding the Philippines will continue to assert its sovereignty in the area.
Philippine Marine Corps servicemen stationed aboard the BRP Sierra Madre at the disputed Second Thomas Shoal in the South China Sea gesture to reporters in 2014. Photo: Reuters
Philippine Marine Corps servicemen stationed aboard the BRP Sierra Madre at the disputed Second Thomas Shoal in the South China Sea gesture to reporters in 2014. Photo: Reuters

Military officials said Chinese rigid-hull inflatable boats came within five to 10 metres of the BRP Sierra Madre and seized some of the supplies that were air dropped for troops, actions they said were “illegal” and “unacceptable”.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x