-
Advertisement
South China Sea
AsiaSoutheast Asia

Marcos says Philippines won’t incite wars as South China Sea tensions spike

  • The president said Manila ‘will not resort to the use of force or intimidation’ to settle the maritime dispute in the waterway

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
20
Chinese coastguard personnel (left and right) aboard their inflatable boats blocking Philippine navy boats (centre) in the disputed South China Sea on June 17. Photo: AFP
Reuters

Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jnr said on Sunday his country is not in the business of instigating wars and will always aim to settle disputes peacefully, amid escalating maritime confrontations with China.

“In defending the nation, we stay true to our Filipino nature that we would like to settle all these issues peacefully,” Marcos said in a speech to troops of the Western Command unit in charge of overseeing the South China Sea.

Philippine navy personnel and the Chinese coastguard had their latest clash last week in the disputed waterway, where the Philippine military said a Filipino sailor was severely injured and its vessels damaged.

Chinese coastguard personnel are seen brandishing knives and machetes as they approach Philippine troops on a resupply mission in the Second Thomas Shoal on June 17 in this handout photo provided by Armed Forces of the Philippines. Photo: Armed Forces of the Philippines via AP
Chinese coastguard personnel are seen brandishing knives and machetes as they approach Philippine troops on a resupply mission in the Second Thomas Shoal on June 17 in this handout photo provided by Armed Forces of the Philippines. Photo: Armed Forces of the Philippines via AP
China’s coastguard personnel carrying knives and spears looted firearms and “deliberately punctured” Philippine boats involved in the mission, the Philippine military said.
Advertisement

China disputed the Philippine account, with a foreign ministry spokesperson saying on Thursday the necessary measures taken were lawful, professional and beyond reproach.

Marcos, who did not name China in his speech, commended the troops for exercising restraint “amid intense provocation”, and said his country would always exercise its freedoms and rights in line with international law.

Advertisement

“In the performance of our duties, we will not resort to the use of force or intimidation, or deliberately inflict injury or harm to anyone,” Marcos said. “We stand firm. Our calm and peaceful disposition should not be mistaken for acquiescence.”

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x