Seven high-ranking administrators at public hospitals in Shenzhen - including four current and former presidents - were sentenced on Wednesday to between 6½ and 13 years in jail for taking millions of yuan in bribes. The disgraced hospital officials, also including a deputy president and two department heads, were convicted by the Yantian District People's Court of accepting between 130,000 yuan (HK$160,000) and 3.24 million yuan, largely from drug and medical-appliance suppliers, project contractors and staff members who wanted promotions. The court said all of the bribe money had been turned over to authorities, and personal assets ranging from 60,000 to 500,000 yuan were seized from each of the disgraced administrators. The hospital officials were two former presidents of the Henggang and Pingshan hospitals in Longgang district, the president of the Guangming hospital in Baoan district, a former president and deputy president of the Shenzhen Maternity and Child Healthcare Hospital in Futian district, and department heads at Baoan and Longgang hospitals. Since the city's health bureau launched a crackdown on bribery in the medical community in June, Shenzhen police have arrested at least 20 managerial staff from 13 local hospitals, as well as 23 other people for offering bribes. Prosecutors said the verdicts handed down on Wednesday were the start of a series of corruption-related cases related to the city's public health care sector. Four other hospital directors are to stand trial soon. Disgraced Henggang hospital chief Kong Deqi was sentenced to 13 years in jail for accepting bribes from 16 suppliers, contractors, advertisers and staff while in charge at three hospitals. Hou Qingzhong , former president of the Shenzhen Maternity and Child Healthcare Hospital, received a 6½-year sentence. He turned himself in after accepting bribes of 1.1 million yuan, HK$400,000 and US$8,000 from two suppliers. His colleague, deputy president Liu Shoutao , was sentenced to 11 years in jail for taking 1.2 million yuan and HK$20,000. The chief of Shenzhen's health bureau, Jiang Hanping , said the series of hospital directors being placed under investigation highlighted a loophole in the current system of purchasing medical appliances and drugs. "This won't be solved unless there is a fundamental overhaul of the system," he told the Yangcheng Evening News .