-
Advertisement
Coronavirus pandemic
China

Son of Chinese coronavirus victim wants to meet WHO experts in Wuhan

  • Zhang Hai has been organising relatives of Covid-19 victims in China to demand accountability from officials
  • The WHO researchers’ visit to investigate the source of the virus was approved by China only after months of negotiations

Reading Time:3 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
Zhang Hai speaks about his father during an interview in Shenzhen on October 16, 2020. Photo: AP
Associated Press
A relative of a coronavirus victim in China is demanding to meet a visiting World Health Organization (WHO) expert team, saying it should speak with affected families who allege they are being muffled by the Chinese government.

China approved the visit by researchers under the auspices of the UN agency only after months of negotiations. It has not indicated whether they will be allowed to gather evidence or talk to families, saying only that the team can exchange views with Chinese scientists.

“I hope the WHO experts don’t become a tool to spread lies,” said Zhang Hai, whose father died of Covid-19 on February 1 last year, after travelling to the Chinese city of Wuhan and getting infected.
Advertisement

“We’ve been searching for the truth relentlessly,” he said. “This was a criminal act, and I don’t want the WHO to be coming to China to cover up these crimes.”

China’s Foreign Ministry did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Advertisement
Zhang Hai holds up a photo of his father taken in his youth. Photo: AP
Zhang Hai holds up a photo of his father taken in his youth. Photo: AP
Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x