-
Advertisement
US-China relations
China

US Navy fires 2 officers for South China Sea submarine mishap that angered Beijing

  • Investigation finds that ‘sound judgment, prudent decision-making and adherence to required procedures’ could have prevented the accident
  • Announcement comes after US Navy secretary said those who need to be held accountable would be

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
41
The USS Connecticut departs Puget Sound Naval Shipyard for sea trials in 2016 in Washington state. Photo: US Navy via AP
Robert Delaneyin Washington
The US Navy announced on Thursday that it has fired two senior officials deemed responsible for a recent mishap involving the USS Connecticut submarine in the South China Sea, shortly after a top military official said it was looking to hold individuals accountable for the incident that sparked a diplomatic row with Beijing.

Vice Admiral Karl Thomas, commander of the US Seventh Fleet, said a commanding officer and a sonar technician were relieved of their duties owing to “a loss of confidence” in their abilities, according to the statement.

“Thomas determined sound judgment, prudent decision-making and adherence to required procedures in navigation planning, watch team execution and risk management could have prevented the incident,” the US Navy said. The nuclear-powered attack submarine “remains in Guam while undergoing damage assessment and will return to Bremerton, Washington, for repairs”.

Advertisement

Navy Secretary Carlos Del Toro said earlier on Thursday that the US Navy had planned to hold officials accountable if an investigation found it was necessary. He was speaking at the Aspen Security Forum in Washington, where he also commented on America’s military rivalry with Beijing.

USS Connecticut arrives at Fleet Activities Yokosuka base for a scheduled port visit on July 31 in Japan. Photo: US Navy via AP
USS Connecticut arrives at Fleet Activities Yokosuka base for a scheduled port visit on July 31 in Japan. Photo: US Navy via AP
Advertisement
The Navy said on Monday that initial investigation had concluded that the vessel struck a geological formation and not another vessel. The incident has increased tensions between the US and China that had already been building owing to the rapid growth of Beijing’s military presence in the region, an issue that Del Toro addressed at the two-day conference.
The US Navy secretary said his main strategic priorities boil down to “the four Cs”, which “starts with China as our most significant pacing threat”, reiterating a term that other top military officials, including Defence Secretary Lloyd Austin, have used to describe the urgency with which they view Beijing’s military ambitions.
Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x