China says some South China Sea land reclamation projects now completed

China has completed some of its land reclamation on the Spratly Islands in the South China Sea, the Foreign Ministry said on Tuesday, raising the stakes in the mainland’s territorial dispute with its Asian neighbours.
Beijing stepped up its creation of artificial islands last year, alarming several countries in Asia and drawing criticism from Washington.
The United States, which has called for a halt in China’s island building, said earlier this month that it was concerned about Beijing’s plans for more construction work, including for military defence.
Hua Chunying, China’s Foreign Ministry spokeswoman, said at a daily briefing on Tuesday that the land reclamation projects on some islands and reefs in the South China Sea had been completed “in recent days”.
China has been working on land reclamation projects on seven reefs among the tiny islets at the centre of the maritime territorial dispute involving the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Taiwan and Brunei.
Recent satellite images have shown a hive of work on China’s new islands.
US officials have said China has reclaimed 607 hectares of land this year alone.