Japan and China are arranging a meeting between foreign ministry officials later this month to discuss responses to North Korea’s long-range rocket launch and nuclear test, a Japanese government source said on Monday. Kong Xuanyou, China’s assistant foreign minister, is expected to meet with Japanese deputy foreign minister Shinsuke Sugiyama in Tokyo in what would be the first visit by a senior Chinese Foreign Ministry official to Japan since North Korea conducted its fourth nuclear test on January 6, the source said. READ MORE: China ‘must prepare for war over North Korea’s rocket launch and nuclear tests’ The planned meeting comes as Japan’s efforts to arrange telephone talks between Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida and his Chinese counterpart Wang Yi following the nuclear test have proven unsuccessful. Kong has previously headed the Foreign Ministry’s Asian affairs department and been posted in Tokyo as minister at the China’s embassy. Tokyo has been calling for tougher international sanctions against North Korea in the wake of its nuclear test and a rocket launch earlier this month, which was widely seen as a cover for testing long-range ballistic missile technology But Beijing, North Korea’s most important economic sponsor, remains reluctant to impose harsh measures that could cripple its impoverished neighbour.