-
Advertisement
Iran
ChinaDiplomacy

China calls for calm after report Donald Trump ordered Iran strikes before changing mind

  • Beijing appeals for restraint amid mounting concern that US president aborted attack while warplanes were heading for targets
  • China repeats its appeal to avoid opening ‘Pandora’s box’ and restates commitment to Iran nuclear deal

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
Donald Trump was reported to have ordered air strikes after a US military drone was shot down. Photo: US Air Force/ AFP
Catherine Wong

The Chinese government repeated its appeal for restraint in the Middle East on Friday amid rising international concern after reports that US President Donald Trump had approved military strikes on Iran before aborting the attack when the planes were in the air.

The New York Times reported that on Thursday night Trump had ordered attacks on Iranian targets in retaliation for the shooting down of a US military drone, but then abruptly changed his mind and cancelled the order.

On Friday Beijing warned its citizens in Iran to take extra safety precautions and repeated its earlier warnings against opening a “Pandora’s box”.

Advertisement

Lu Kang, a spokesman for the Chinese foreign ministry, said the current situation was “very complicated and also very sensitive”.

“We have repeatedly called for all sides to remain rational and exercise restraint, and to refrain from actions that may lead to further escalation, and not to open the Pandora’s box,” he said.

Advertisement
American warplanes on board the USS Abraham Lincoln in the Arabian Sea earlier this month. Photo: Reuters
American warplanes on board the USS Abraham Lincoln in the Arabian Sea earlier this month. Photo: Reuters
Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x