-
Advertisement
China-Africa relations
ChinaDiplomacy

Three Chinese nationals killed in Democratic Republic of Congo mine attack

  • Official news agency Xinhua says the three died in Saturday’s attack in the province of Ituri
  • Central African country is major source of cobalt and copper but armed rebels pose a persistent risk

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
Mines have been targeted by armed rebels in the past. Photo: Reuters
Reuters

A gun attack in a mining area in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) has killed three Chinese nationals, the official news agency Xinhua reported on Monday.

The attack took place on Saturday in the northeastern province of Ituri, which borders Uganda and South Sudan, Xinhua said, citing the Chinese embassy.

It did not name the mine in question or the company operating it.

Advertisement

The DRC is the world’s biggest producer of mined cobalt – a key ingredient in batteries for electric vehicles – and one of Africa’s biggest copper producers, although its key copper-cobalt producing region is in the southwest, far from the site of the attack.

The country has attracted billions of dollars in investment from Chinese miners in recent years despite security risks.

Canadian gold miner Banro, which owns mines in Maniema, a DRC province south of Ituri, suspended operations last year after several of its mines were overrun by armed rebels.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x