
Pompeo meets Hong Kong’s last governor Chris Patten and activist Nathan Law in London
- US Secretary of State calls for global alliance against China before meeting two of the city’s Beijing critics
- British Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab also walks fine line to avoid all-out support for Washington’s contest with Beijing
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo met two politicians closely linked to Hong Kong while visiting London on Tuesday, shortly before he was due to fly back to America and give a major speech on China.
“Nathan walked in just as Patten was on his way out,” a person with direct knowledge of the meeting told the South China Morning Post. “Pompeo was very keen to do these meetings as they fit in his schedule.”
Chris Patten asks UK to watch out for Beijing interference in Hong Kong affairs
The 20-minute pre-dinner meeting between Pompeo and Law was mostly a learning opportunity for the top diplomat of the world’s superpower, the person said. “He was very interested in hearing the perspective of what it’s like to be on the ground in Hong Kong and the nature of the movement.
“Nathan did most of the talking. He gave Pompeo a human element to the movement – what life is like in Hong Kong at the moment, how it feels to be in Hong Kong right now, how to walk a mile in an average Hongkonger’s shoes.”
Patten could not be contacted for comment.
01:17
Pompeo urges all nations to 'push back' against China on visit to the UK
Speaking at a press conference earlier on Tuesday, Pompeo called for a global alliance to confront the challenges posed by China.
Pompeo urges Britain to work on new approach to China
“We think the entire world needs to work together to ensure every country, including China, behaves in the international system in ways that are appropriate and consistent with the international order,” he said.
“We want every country to work together to push back against the Chinese Communist Party’s efforts in every dimension. We hope we can build a coalition to collectively show the CCP it's not in their best interests to engage in this kind of behaviour.”
Pompeo was speaking alongside British Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab who a day earlier had announced Britain would extend its arms embargo against China to Hong Kong and suspend the extradition treaty with the former colony.
01:54
China hits back at UK claims of forced sterilisations and other human rights abuses against Uygurs
Pompeo took an indirect swipe at China, which said Britain was acting on the instruction of Washington. “We support those sovereign choices,” he said, standing beside Raab. “We think: well done.”
While Pompeo branded his trip with a China focus, Britain trod a more cautious line in an apparent attempt to strike a delicate balance and avoid being seen to be siding with America’s all-out contest with China.
Raab said he and Pompeo had discussed their “serious concerns” about the situation in Hong Kong and talked about raising the issue of China's actions at “G7 level”.

