-
Advertisement
North Korea
ChinaDiplomacy

China highlights North Korean food crisis with call to lift UN sanctions

  • Wang Yi also hits out at US in Asean forum, accusing it of stoking tensions
  • Aid from Beijing and Seoul is not enough to solve Pyongyang’s problems, observer says

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
5
North Korea is releasing emergency military rice reserves as its food shortage worsens, according to South Korea’s spy agency. Photo: AP
Teddy NgandMinnie Chan
China has renewed calls for international sanctions on North Korea to be lifted and accused the United States of stoking regional tensions with talks to hold military exercises with the South.

In an address to an online Asean foreign ministers forum on Friday, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said the joint exercises would undermine efforts to resolve tensions on the Korean peninsula.

“If the US really wants to restore dialogue with North Korea, it should not take any actions that will intensify tensions,” the Chinese foreign ministry quoted him as saying.

Advertisement

“Given that North Korea has already stopped nuclear and long-range missile tests, its legitimate concerns should be addressed. An effective way to resolve the current deadlock is to lift sanctions imposed on North Korea by the United Nations Security Council.”

South Korea’s defence ministry said on Monday that Seoul and Washington were in talks over a joint military exercise, but no decision had been made.

Advertisement

Pyongyang warned Seoul that the drills would undermine efforts to rebuild their relations. Seoul and Washington regularly conduct joint drills, which Pyongyang has denounced as preparation for war.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x