Advertisement
US-China relations
ChinaDiplomacy

China ‘justified’ in cancelling defence talks with US, Washington pushing blame as a tactic, says Wang Yi

  • Chinese defence ministry says China cancelled dialogues with the US because Washington had stirred up tensions across the Taiwan Strait.
  • After Nancy Pelosi’s Taiwan visit, China’s foreign minister says US is ‘finding excuses to cover up its wrong deeds and passing the responsibility to others’

2-MIN READ2-MIN
99+
Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said the US had committed three mistakes over Taiwan, including “using a tactic of creating a problem first, then using it to realise its own strategic end”. Photo: AFP
Teddy Ng
Beijing has hit back at criticism from the United States that cancelling defence dialogues with Washington was irresponsible, with China saying the US was trying to shift blame.

The Chinese defence ministry said in a statement on Monday that China was justified in cancelling the defence dialogues with the US because Washington had stirred up tensions across the Taiwan Strait.

China announced the cancellation of the dialogues on Friday as retaliation for US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s trip to Taiwan this month. The cancelled events include China-US theatre commanders talks, China-US defence policy coordination talks and the China-US military maritime consultative agreement meetings.
02:46
Mainland China launches largest military drill in the Taiwan Strait after Pelosi’s visit

Politico reported on Friday, citing three people familiar with the matter, that top Chinese military officials did not return calls from their American counterparts last week.

Advertisement

The report quoted officials and experts as saying that the ghosting of US Defence Secretary Lloyd Austin and joint chiefs chairman General Mark Milley was a short-sighted and reckless move that increased the risk of escalation in an already tense situation.

Without confirming the report, the Chinese defence ministry said it needed sincerity for communications between the two militaries to be established.

Advertisement

“The US is creating a crisis, but on the other hand it is also saying it wants to manage the crisis. It is also finding excuses to cover up its wrong deeds and passing the responsibility to others. We firmly oppose it,” the defence ministry said in a statement.

“China’s relevant countermeasures are a necessary warning to the provocation of the United States and Taiwan, and the legitimate defence of national sovereignty and security is completely reasonable and appropriate.”

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x