-
Advertisement
China-EU relations
ChinaDiplomacy

China’s top diplomat Wang Yi scolds US, praises Russia ties at end of EU tour

  • China and EU to resume high-level talks after lengthy pandemic suspension
  • Wang says history will show balloon incident was ‘a farce made by the US’

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
34
At the end of a high-stakes tour, Wang Yi said China and the European Union would resume high-level talks following a lengthy pandemic suspension. Photo: EPA-EFE
Lo Hoi-ying
The United States should not use the balloon incident to further a domestic political agenda, China’s top diplomat said as he wrapped up a week-long visit to the European Union.

State Councillor Wang Yi made the remarks in a post-tour interview with Chinese state media on Wednesday, during which he said that China and the EU had agreed to resume high-level talks. The two sides established diplomatic ties 20 years ago.

The dialogue – which had been suspended because of the Covid-19 pandemic – will focus on economic, green, digital and cultural issues, Wang was quoted as saying.

Advertisement

“European politicians have expressed the importance of China’s position and role in the world, and agree with China’s policy choices and development direction,” Wang said.

“[They] hoped to fully restart the institutional dialogue and exchanges with China in various fields as soon as possible, and open up new prospects for mutually beneficial cooperation.”

Ahead of the first anniversary of the war in Ukraine, Wang made stops in France, Italy, Hungary and Russia, while also speaking at the Munich Security Conference in Germany last weekend.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x