Advertisement
South China Sea
ChinaDiplomacy

As Philippines plans to upgrade South China Sea outposts, Beijing weighs options

  • China appears to be taking ‘wait and see’ approach after Manila says it will improve facilities for troops deployed on disputed reefs and islands
  • Observers say Beijing could blockade Philippine ships – if the project goes ahead – but US involvement would complicate Chinese response

5-MIN READ5-MIN
42
A Chinese coastguard vessel manoeuvres beside the Philippine coastguard ship BRP Cabra as they approach the contested Second Thomas Shoal in the South China Sea on November 10. Photo: AP
Alyssa Chen
Beijing likely views Manila’s plan to upgrade its South China Sea outposts as a provocation, but it appears to be taking a “wait and see” approach rather than reacting swiftly, according to analysts.
Observers said Beijing would likely succeed in disrupting Manila’s project – if it indeed goes ahead – but any US involvement in helping the Philippines would complicate China’s available options.
In the past year, tensions have brewed between China and the Philippines over the Second Thomas Shoal, a disputed reef in the South China Sea, resulting in face-offs involving lasers, water cannons and collisions near several military outposts in the strategically important waterway.
Advertisement

Philippine military chief Romeo Brawner last week announced a plan to upgrade all nine territorial features Manila occupies in the region – mostly islands, shoals and reefs – by installing desalination machines and communications equipment and making other improvements for troops deployed there.

The military also plans to install desalination machines on the BRP Sierra Madre, an ageing warship that was deliberately grounded on the Second Thomas Shoal in 1999 to assert Manila’s territorial claims. Brawner noted that the ship would not be fortified as part of the development plan.
04:30
Philippines sets up ‘game changer’ monitoring station on island in disputed South China Sea
China has regularly sent ships to patrol the area and has urged the Philippines to remove the rusting vessel based on what it described as a “promise” by Manila. However, Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jnr has denied the promise was ever made.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x